The Apache Jakarta Law:

Any discussion regarding Apache Jakarta will eventually degrade into a discussion about the
Tomcat 3.3/4.0 issue, often including a full re-analysis of the events, revision of the history, and sometimes degrading into a full re-enactment of the emotionally charged flamewar that engulfed the Tomcat project at the time. Often even those who don't often participate in such "interesting uses of time" will even "match the judgement logic" necessary to participate in such a conversation.

I hope one day my Law is proven false. Perhaps if those involved were to take this on to a wiki and document all about it, the different view points and lessons learned, opposing lessons learned etc, we could one day make this law obsolete at least.

-Andy

Joe Schaefer wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

I believe it was a mistake to allow two different codebases to share the same name.

I'm not convinced that "having two codebases" is necessarily a mistake. So far the discussion here seems to have centered around the concerns of the existing tomcat developers. I'd like to know what the tomcat users (ie. the future tomcat developers) think of the 3.x/4.x division.