Sander Striker wrote:
From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 December 2002 16:34

Yeah.. I'm confused...what does ANY of the issues brought up have to do with creating the dns entry? It seems some folks are voting/debating the home directories themselves. Those are already there and I assume that decision was already made. I suppose you could propose they be shut down, but I DON'T see what creating the DNS entry has to do with that... But I'm kinda dull, so maybe if someone explains it, I'll get it.

Right now the homepages aren't linked to from anywhere and certainly
not promoted.  Creating the dns entry will seem like promoting the use
of the homepages.

Yes, that's exactly the intention.

"people".apache.org or "community".apache.org will imply that such a domain
entails all the people of the ASF or the entire community of the ASF.

It's damn easy to create a list of all committers and provide links only for those who happen to have their ASF homepage available. That solves 'in/out' problems.

This
simply can never be true since not everyone has time to create and maintain
a 'community' area in his homepage area.

It's up to you to partecipate in this, but I don't see why the fact that you don't have time should limit others in their ability to be more community friendly.

Some of us barely have spare time
and are likely to contribute to their projects rather than maintain their
'community' area.

Fair, then don't do so.

So, in the end, only the people with lots of time on
their hands, or simply the most vocal ones, will (likely) be perceived (by
visitors of community.apache.org) to _be_ the ASF, instead of a few faces
within the ASF.

pfff, if I lack the time to partecipate in a mail list discussion should I propose to shut the mail list off until I have enough time?

I'm moving my -0 to a -1 on this basis.  It would be something else if
community.apache.org were only accessible by committers...

Sander: since the ASF was created, this page

http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html

contains the list of all members and not all of them have the time/will/energy/whatever to maintain an ASF-related homepage (I'm one of them, BTW).

Nobody ever said that those linked ones receive more attention than the others. I hope you are not implying this.

I agree with you that ASF 'visibility' should not be a function of whether or not you have a homepage setup.

So, just like you don't stop discussions if you don't have time, but you still receive messages, I would suggest that we list *all* committers, but then we link only those who do have an ASF-related homepage setup.

Does that remove your fears?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>