On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:17:38PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > http://www.freeroller.net/page/acoliver/20030108#when_is_community_not_a
>   - he was criticized for a message that he made
>     in jest, but which wasn't at all obvious in
>     that intent.

To be honest, I usually find people who say "but that was a joke" are simply
trying to cover up a social blunder under the ruse of "you didn't get it."
Whether the case here or not, it certainly was non-obvious.

And why did he unsubscribe? We can make guesses, but that's about it. Unless
he clarifies further in his blog or posts elsewhere...

> "Just Do It" is a great ad slogan, but it doesn't seem to me to always be
> the appropriate model for group projects.

Right.

> Yes, it makes things happen.  But
> when people are actively discussing an issue of communal interest, it makes
> sense to me that the issue be discussed, various ways to doing something
> examined, tradeoffs weighed, and then execute a change based upon some
> concensus.  Otherwise, when more than one person cares about a subject,
> "Just Do It" results in one person's vision being realized, and a cycle of
> potentially conflicting changes necessary to stablize the code.  Am I
> missing something?

You're missing the fact that a "just do it" attitude can be totally
inconsiderate towards your peers. "I don't care about your opinion, I'm just
getting it done." It certainly doesn't help foster a community based on
mutual respect.

> I'm going to be curious to see how Subwiki works out -- if the intent is to
> switch --- being in Python, not Perl, but still not in Java.  Are there more
> Python coders than Perl here?

It is probably about the same number, but the SubWiki author is "here" while
the UseModWiki author is not :-)

To be honest, any kind of "switch" would be based on features rather than on
the language. (and the fact that I can maintain our installation)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/