On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Ben Hyde wrote:

> I can't make maps at until I convince one of the machines in my house
> to build a version of xworld with tiff and gif||png support.

Well - if either Santiago or you send me a hi-rez version of that
background map - then I can automate the layering with ease; allowing for
zoom in/panning until that background map runs out of pixels.

>   1. The data gathering should be separate from the report/map
> generation.

In our company we actually use secure DDNS to push them into our
DNS entries (we simply user our emails and swap the @ for a .). But that
still requires an efford :-)

>   2. Privacy policy statements are badly needed, particularly when you
>      want to display more interesting data, like time of last commit.
>      This is, darn it, an interesting design problem.

Well; again; what we do in asemantics.com is push a fair chunk of info
directly into DNS; or we use NAPTR records in DNS followed by an SRV
record; typically to HTTP.

>   3. I very much don't want the data or the reports checked into CVS.
>
>   4. It would be fun to pull RSS alternate links as well and use
>      that to highlight those people with recent postings.

Aye.

>   5. It would be very interesting to look into signing, encrypting, etc
>      the contents of the page.

:-) You'd almost want to go back on a push based 'messaging' service;
where the message could be an RDF record (or chunk of Dublin Core) with a
pgp signature; try

        dig mobile.webweaving.org LOC
        dig mobile.webweaving.org ANY

for some of those we use in house (height is a factor 100 off by the way).

Dw