> There are clear instructions in the jakarta web site on how to handle
> cvs through ssh ...

This sort of information is scattered across the *.apache.org sites.  There
are also instructions for doing it at
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#general.  Oddly there is a
separate section on CVS, and I would expect that question to be moved to the
CVS section.  Then we have http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newbie.html.  All
of this sort of information should to be centralized, IMO.  Only things that
differ with a project should be located there.

> Also, instructions to setup a ssh key and nuke your cvs.apache.org
> password, or even to send the public key in advance, would be great.

Again, there actually is a document tells you to send in your public key in
advance; see: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html.  HOWEVER, again,
this is only on one project's site, instead of global.  And Brian would ask
that you do *not* "nuke" your password.

        --- Noel