On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > all PMCs whose committers 'commit' to the repository should maintain
> > some oversight.
>
> Infrastructure hasn't considered that a good model for the Wiki, and I don't
> know that it would work any better for the repository.  Someone needs to
> take responsibility for the oversight.

Ok. I think jakarta PMC should have the oversight over all directories
starting with "jakarta". Same for the other PMCs.

Directories that don't start with a PMC name should be under the oversight
of infrastructure or board or any other entitiy that understands the
licensing policy of apache.

Is this acceptable ?

> Yes, that does.  But I am expecting that people will want common things like
> JUnit, which I understand to be acceptable so long as the IBM license is
> there.  Once the binary distinction of ASF v non-ASF is dropped, then the
> simplicity of it being OK because it is all ASF-licensed code turns into the
> policing scenario that Maven is currently practicing, through Dion Gillard.

I think all non-apache jars should have the oversight of board or some
other entity that can make an authoritative decision on
accepting/rejecting packages ( or at least licenses ).

> But using the repository to hold third party jars for which the ASF has
> specifically ascertained appropriate license rights exist seems to be what
> gives us the most bang, because it is the third party libraries that are the
> most potentially time consuming and "risky".  Rather than each project have
> to deal with each third party jar, using the repository for that purpose
> would both share the burden of acquiring suitable license rights, and
> ensuring that they were acquired.

+1

> So, yes, the ASF-only distinction simplifies repository policing, but using
> it as the central location for authorized third party jars simplifies
> overall policing of third party license issues for the ASF as a whole.

As long as the policing is done by the right people.

Costin