Costin Manolache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 27/02/2003 08:28:05 AM:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > differing views on how to make use of the repository.  Costin and I
seem to
> > be of the option that a significant portion of the value of the
repository
> > comes from sharing and centralizing the managment of ASF-acceptable
third
> > party jars.
>
> Not entirely true, but close.
>
> I think third party jars that are found compatible with ASF license -
i.e.
> freely redistributable - are very valuable as they will allow projects
> to better manage their dependencies.

You know that ASF jars aren't 'freely' distributable, right? The license
specifies some conditions on binary distribution.

> I don't believe in a single repository or a single policy - the download

> tools must be smart and be able to deal with different kinds of
> repositories ( apache, sourceforge, maven, etc ). Heck - if the tool can

> display the license and ask for an "I agree" and if this satisfies the
> requirements of some licenses - it should be supported. That's what
> makes a good tool - flexibility and ability to accept multiple inputs.
Sure, that's a tool that can handle lots of repositories. But what about
the apache repo?

> Well, Maven doesn't seem to be that concerned with duplication, and
values
> the competition :-) To paraphrase Jason - what's wrong with multiple
> competing repositories ? A smart tool should be able to support multiple
> policies - or choose to restrict the users to a particular set.
Sure, feel free.

> To take one example - the jar naming - I understand very well that Maven

> people decided on this thing. And I understand that a lot of people
> consider this a good decision - and a lot of other people don't. If this

> becomes an apache-wide policy, I strongly disagree that Maven can decide

> for apache policies.
I don't think we've tried to.

> In other words - as long as maven decisions affect only maven - I don't
> care. But if it affects other projects, and the repository certainly
does
> - then the PMCs of those projects or the apache community are the ones
> that decide.
Sure, but please take into account the work we've already done.

> +1 on the oversight committee for non-apache jars.
Believe me, the oversight bit is the hardest part.

> A strong -1 on oversight for apache jars. We already have PMCs for each
> project, and those should oversee the distribution of their own files.
Even by other projects?

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au