Costin Manolache wrote:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:

files in /dist/java-repository besides perhaps HEADER.html and README.htmls...

Few simple questions:

Should we use 2 different dirs for src and binary distribution ? Or maybe 3 dirs ( src, bin, doc ) ?

based on current practice at http://www.ibiblio.org/maven, the answer to both is "no". A quick
glance at the java projects @ http://www.apache.org/dist/ also seems to result in a "no". The
most standard practice seems to be to append -src or -bin, resulting in filenames of

/dist/${project}/${subproject}/${version}/${package}-${version}-bin.${fomat}
/dist/${project}/${subproject}/${version}/${package}-${version}-src.${fomat}

where ${subproject} can be ".", and the /${version} part in the path is often ommitted.

Are "milestone" builds acceptable ? Should we get some weekly gump builds from HEAD into the repository ?

That's up to each project to decide I think. My opinion is that once you provide a distribution of
a file, you need to keep providing it at the same URL for a timespan close to eternity. This seems a
good argument to not place milestones or weeklies here.

What policy should we use for removing older versions ( or we just keep everything ) ?

my take: keep everything. Again, policy should be the same as for the contents of /dist/. I dunno
if there is an asf-wide policy for that...looking at http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/old/, those guys
don't share my view :D

Since the versioned jar/unversioned dir format is used - I think various PMCs should try to get the various projects to use the same format internally. I would prefer the reverse ( versioned dirs / unversioned jars ) - but I can live with the reverse if it does have a "majority" support. Could we put at least this option to a vote, just to have a record that it
isn't just a random decision but what the committers really want ?

we could do that, but the big disadvantage with deviating from the existing maven/centipede/ruper
practice is that it deviates from that practice, thus requiring work and reducing compatibility. If you
feel like holding a vote, by all means feel free, I'll probably vote -1 for deviating from the existing
format (unless you've got a good argument rather than preference; I share your preference but it
is just that ;)

cheers,

- Leo