On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:08:36 +0100
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: community@apache.org
> Subject: Re: [proposal] daedalus jar repository
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > As an aside, one of the issues we had when coming up with Maven's
> > repository format, is that often artifacts (jars, wars, ears etc), will
> > get left on the filesystem outside of a repository.
> >
> > Think rpms for example.

> > useful for us.
> >
> > Yes, it's often different from what the project creates and distributes,
> > but I (and others) have been bitten by
> > commons-logging.jar, struts.jar, junit.jar so many times, that seeing
> > log4j-1.2.5.jar is a godsend.
>
> I totally share this experience and support the concept.

I've gotten bit by the opposite problem (changing version number in a JAR
filename causing broken build scripts) just as often.

Wouldn't a reasonable approach to this problem be to make searches for
"commons-foo.jar" return the latest released version, while searches for
"commons-foo-x.y.jar" would return that particular version?  Then, you can
have it either way.  On the former, one might also support a mode that
grabs the latest nightly instead of the latest reslease.