On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:02:07 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: community@apache.org
> Subject: Re: ASF repository URI syntax
>
> i think that maybe organization / project would be better that
> /project/[subproject/..].
>
> i think that including organization would a good idea for a couple of
> reasons. first, it would make it pretty clear that it's an URI is for an
> ASF jar. secondly, it would allow expansion later for non-ASF jars within
> the system. (even if they are hosted elsewhere.)
>
> the project should simply include as much detail as it required to
> identify a unique releasable unit. so (for example) ant would be
> (something like) apache/ant whereas the commons logging api could be
> apache/jakarta-commons-logging-api (or something like that).
>
> this idea also has the advantage of being much simpler :)
>
> maybe the organization should be a domain name ie apache.org rather than
> apache.

For Java-based stuff, it might be best to base the repository URI on the
top-level package name of the included code, which is often at least
somewhat independent of the organizational structure (org.apache.struts
wouldn't change whether Struts is a Jakarta subproject or an independent
top-level Apache project).

> - robert

Craig