At 11:15 PM 5/04/2003, you wrote:
Now, I'm asking: what if the ASF provides its own news server that wraps
around all our current mail lists setup and make them available to all
news-archiving services and news-reading clients?

Of course, it should be transparent and allow to redirect back a
newsgroup post to the mail list, which will then be handled by the ezmlm
manager, like done today.

So, you get the best of both worlds.

I really think this is the only thing we can learn from the mozilla.org
community so far. But it might be a good thing.

What do you think?

If you still have access to the mailing lists it would be okay. One important point to consider is that not everyone can get access to newsgroups through their corporate firewall.

Regards,

Glen