On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> Ahhh. Now, there are no *ASF members* in Japan (Maybe, this goes for
> other Asian countries), so the things can be easily inconsistent.
> # The only *Japanese-native* fellow (and ASF member) is now in the USA,
> # I've heard.
>
> In such a situation, we can not build "establish a trust relationship"
> using telephone or meeting in private (in japan) with ASF members.
> As a result, the "chain of trust" can not be established and as a
> matter of course, people in apache.org would never know "who is tetsuya"
> forever. :-) Also, as a matter of course, high-leveled trust with
> committers and members would not be able to be established forever.

A chain of trust can have more than one link.  Assuming there is someone
in Japan who has once been to a country with an ASF member, geography need
not be a barrier.

Not that I want to defend PGP.  I think it is overkill for most
situations.  But it is a good option to provide for those who need it.

Joshua.