While I'm not highly into python (I like whitespace idea, but knowledge of
perl stops me getting too much beyond reading the O'Reilly books), perhaps
this would be a way to experiement with the non-project technology focused
communities that were talked about a couple of years ago.

The one that preceded increasing the number of Apache projects so Apache
was broader and discussed having cross-project communities united on
something like language.

So Xerces-Java belongs to both XML and Java communities, etc etc.
mod-python would belong to the httpd-module community, as well as the
python community.

Hen