:)

All clever remarks aside, I think Niclas's response was well put.  There
is probably a lot that the foundation can learn from the mistakes in
Avalon.  I tried to summarize some of them the other day [1].

In terms of "style of community building" I think part of the issue at
hand were instances when developers felt technical issues were paramount
to community health.  Usually this results in a fork and in the case of
Avalon, it should have.  But instead we were either overly optimistic and
wanted to work things out or overly territorial and didn't want to break
things up.

Thus one of the 'markers' or 'safety values' which Niclas is talking about
is a mechanism which allows communities and code to successfully branch
and fork when necessary rather than be forced to play in the same sandbox
until everyone learns his or her lesson to work well with others.  The
Incubator is one such mechanism.  I believe it is quite appropriate to
point these resources out and educate PMC's and developers on how to
manage such situations.

jaaron

[1] http://www.jadetower.org/muses/archives/000146.html