On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Julie MacNaught wrote:

I am a big corporation's employee (IBM), not an individual contributor.

My current pet theory is that due to quotas, the large corporations are gobbling up all the female graduates. Apart from the ASF ties to IBM/Sun, and obvious open-source corporates (IBM, Novell, Red Hat etc), most open-source committers come from smaller companies. This is a completely unproven belief I admit. A survey a few years back showed 50% ASF at IBM/Sun and 50% elsewhere, but I'm not sure if it looked at the size of the elsewheres.

I think it would be interesting to look at the gender ratio of where graduates go in terms of size of company, and then look at the ratio of where open-source committers work.

Hen