On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:50:01AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 1:21 AM +0800 Niclas Hedhman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I am sure that the upper-tier of ASF would shiver at the thought that
> >hordes
> >of people can gain direct access to the repositories. They/we will dust of
> >the same arguments of why Wiki won't work. But it does. Why? Because *most*
> >people *want* it to work.
>
> Baloney.  Code review is *essential*.  For httpd, we require *three* people
> to sign off on any change before it gets merged into the stable branch.  We
> take our responsibility for providing stable software *extremely*
> seriously.  We're not about to deploy untested (and unreviewed) fixes to
> the general population. It would not bode well on our personal reputations
> or of our software's. Therefore, we're also extremely cautious about adding
> new committers.

My version of the idea is not to let random strangers manipulate the
branch that will be released with our brand, but rather to have a
version control system that allows random strangers to commit proposed
changes with just normal version control commands, without the mental
overhead of going outside this system to create a patch, find the right
place in bugzilla, create a bug report and submit, attach the patch as a
second step, find out the patch was formatted wrong, resubmit, etc.

This version is a matter of ease of interaction, not of releasing
control of a branded release branch and accompanying quality control.
My personal favorite system for this is the up-and-coming Monotone vc
system, but it is still in its apha stage.

--Tim Larson