On Wed, 4 May 2005, Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
There is SVNwiki, but it only uses SVN as the database backend; it's not
designed to have the content also be edited directly, though someone could
carefully do that.

Correction: it is designed precisely to let us edit the contents directly. Some of us find using our text editor much more comfortable than using a web browser's textarea. :)

Actually, I said "SVNWiki" when I meant "SubWiki", but that was just a think-o, I didn't actually know there was a project called SVNWiki, separate from SubWiki. Funny how that works.

Oh, sure, you *could* edit the Wiki contents with a regular text editor, in any event; but part of the value I see from a Wiki comes from what happens to Wiki content as it's received by the Wiki, from the syntax checking to the preview screen to the glossary-making.

The wiki syntax is fairly complete right now.  It does some
interesting things such as allowing you to use GNU Enscript to syntax
highlight information (in all the ~50 languages it supports) or
allowing you to embed Scheme code in the wiki pages (which is safely
executed in a sandbox).  You could take a look at the syntax it
supports in:

http://cgi.afc.no-ip.info/svnwiki.cgi/defwiki/wiki-syntax

I (really * really * really)^really wish the Wiki people would settle on a common syntax. All these different syntaxes make promoting Wikis to a larger audience really difficult, because people I deal with worry that if the Wiki tool in question dies off due to lack of interest and a move to another one needs to be made, the migration will be painful. We had a huge amount of pain just upgrading our MoinMoin installation...

Anyways, thanks for the pointer.

        Brian