Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> Need to update http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html to say
>> 4096 asap I suspect :) Stop new people being lured into this problem.

i've committed something (as a stopgap measure)

> yes but...
>
> key size isn't the direct cause of the problem: SHA-1 is
>
> AIUI the OpenPGP WG assumed that the next generation hash algorithm (and
> so the next OpenPGP revision) would be available before SHA-1 was
> broken. this is now looking very unlikely.
>
> so, new keys need to be generated using the latest tools with specific
> settings (older tools and default settings typically try to force people
> into the OpenPGP defaults for compatibility), and everyone (even those
> with longer keys) need to upgrade their tools and adjust the settings.
>
> we also need to ensure that we're setting up the infrastructure for an
> orderly, measured transition rather than rushing to create a panic.

should probably expand that section explaining the situation. maybe
something like:

"
Recent research has revealed weaknesses in SHA-1, and in the DSA and
1024 bit RSA OpenPGP keys which must use this algorithm. Though these
weaknesses are not yet feasible but - if experience with similar
weaknesses in MD5 can be a guide - further advances may well lead to
practical attackers within the next few years. There is no reason for
owners of these keys to panic but new keys of short length should not be
generated.

All new RSA keys generated should be at least 4096 bits. Do not generate
new DSA keys.

See discussions on the community list for more information.
"

opinions? improvements?

- - robert

For additional commands, e-mail: community-h...@apache.org