Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> Need to update http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html to say
>>> 4096 asap I suspect :) Stop new people being lured into this problem.
>
> i've committed something (as a stopgap measure)
>
>> yes but...
>
>> key size isn't the direct cause of the problem: SHA-1 is
>
>> AIUI the OpenPGP WG assumed that the next generation hash algorithm (and
>> so the next OpenPGP revision) would be available before SHA-1 was
>> broken. this is now looking very unlikely.
>
>> so, new keys need to be generated using the latest tools with specific
>> settings (older tools and default settings typically try to force people
>> into the OpenPGP defaults for compatibility), and everyone (even those
>> with longer keys) need to upgrade their tools and adjust the settings.
>
>> we also need to ensure that we're setting up the infrastructure for an
>> orderly, measured transition rather than rushing to create a panic.
>
> should probably expand that section explaining the situation.

the improved text from discussions on site-dev is:

   Recent research has revealed weaknesses in SHA-1, and thus in the DSA
   and 1024 bit RSA OpenPGP keys which must use this algorithm. Though
   no realistic attacks have been made public, experience with similar
   weaknesses in MD5 suggests that further advances may well lead
   to practical attacks within the next few years. This accords with
   current NIST guidance on DSA.

   All new RSA keys generated should be at least 4096 bits. Do not
   generate new DSA keys.

   See discussions on the community list for more information.

opinions? improvements?

- - robert