On 13 Sep 2010, at 19:29, Ben Hyde wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2010, at 7:37 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> I just can't resist the opportunity to fork this discussion:
>>
>> http://intertwingly.net/blog/2010/09/13/One-True-Way
>
> tee hee
>
> have we pushed the apache way pages to git hub yet?

That would be a complex message :)

While github itself - and its ecosystem/people interaction is really
interesting and innovative* - the associated  habits around 'git' are not
always. Or rather - its conductive ness to having large pseudo branches (really
just large patches batched up some what) is not.

Especially as the pattern seems to be conductive to personal gratification**
more than community; and leads to patchcollections which are the work of love
of a single person quite easily. And that seems to cause fragmentation on an
end to end level. I.e. rather than scratching your own itch - and solving it at
a product level - you create a small alternate reality in which you nullify the
issue, in which you isolate - and then welcome people on your island - but
you've not made the world a slightly easier place. Somehow it feels as if there
is some driver lacking, some positive need to have communities collaborate.

I am quite worried (and in equal parts intrigued) whether we're creating a new
type of entropy with a different type of 'bit rot'.

Dw.

*: though lack some of the (i)CLA cleanness which is troubling me.
**: speaking purely from what drives me personally to put stuff there - along
with the avoidance of having to collaborate with people to spare/save energy -
making me care more about my code - as opposed to a product for society.