On 25 Jan 2008, at 23:17, joerg wrote:
Hmm... The patent purports to cover getting *any* information based on
where you are, including maps. So unless all the map information or
whatever information you need can fit on your phone you are not
interested in it? I guess you better wait for some *really* big flash
memory chips. :)
The maps ARE "on board" for all common GPS car navis ("really big" 256MB-flash card e.g.). When i need to download e.g. a new country, because traveling
from Germany to Spain, this info isn't based on sending my actual
GPS-position to a database.

Hi there,

Google already offers a maps application for cell phones.

Just like the web-based app, the version for my Sony Ericsson P990i downloads only images for the area surrounding your search target, and downloads additional images as you scroll the viewing area.

This Google maps application supports GPS on Windows Mobile-based cellphones - I'd been inclined to assume that the Neo will be supported shortly after its release - and this would seem to be either "infringing" or prior art.

Stroller.