Yes, it is possible. But often Hardware producer are linked to carriers.
I remember how phone producer try to disable VoIp function from their devices. And this is not nice.

I don't know how Nokia will like an open phone. But we can not to know!

Lalo Martins wrote:
Nokia makes money out of handsets, not software.  Who knows?  They may be
watching OM very closely, hoping it will be the thing that finally
"allows" them to use a more open platform, networks be damned ;-)n

best,
                                               Lalo Martins