For months now I have had poor performance with my Freerunner's GPS. The GPS problems did not seem to coincide with the two times I have opened my Freerunner to add I2C sensors. I have an infrared thermometer and a barometer.

Lately I have missed the GPS enough to look into the issue more. After trying various things in software and messing with the GPS antenna, I started to look at my sensors. The reference schematics for both sensors call for a 100nf decoupling capacitor between ground and VDD. I looked around in my junk bin for some. All I could find were some huge (for the inside of a FR case) ceramic ones. They didn't seem to help. Using frameworkd.log with the log level turned up, I was able to watch the UBX packets as they came down and disconnecting SDA and SCL for both sensors gave an immediate improvement in GPS reception.

I didn't notice a problem with reception when I first added the sensors. Was anything done in software that would make I2C cause more interference? Should I pursue the decoupling capacitors? Does it matter what kind if they are 100nf?

Thanks for any ideas,
Ben