For me, on GTA04, email is working almost perfectly; I'm also using
IMAP.

maybe this is just a problem on GTA02? anyone else confirm?

For sending, can you ping your SMTP server from the Freerunner?

yes

For "Get all mail", note that this is visible only on the Email page,
not on the parent page for all messages (including SMS), or on the more
specific pages for each email account.

When I did a "Get all mail", with several thousand messages to download,
it did take around a minute (I think) before the application even
started showing a progress bar; and it took a few hours to complete that
initial download.  On the Freerunner, with 2G instead of 3G, I imagine
those operations would probably take even longer.

well I will look at this again, but this is never something I struggled with
on v2x and v3x - the option to fetch mail was always where I'd expect. This
time when I did see it, it was rather a surprise as I'd been struggling to
make sense of this for 30mins. After that one time when I fetched the mail, I
never saw the option to do it again.

If you're sure you have IP-level connectivity to your IMAP and SMTP
servers, and still things aren't working, perhaps you could use tcpdump
to capture the IMAP and SMTP exchanges, then look at that on another
computer with Wireshark?

there is definitely connectivity that I checked. As I said - the account creation to me
is rather tedious, so I just create the account with any old settings and then move the
known good qtopiamail.conf into place. I did this with several upgrades before without
problem. This time I also tried an alternative smtp server - same error message.  I also
confirmed I was using the mail settings I thought I was by "editing" after the
file had been swapped in and checking what was there.

In summary - although I doubt it, one issue maybe my pebkac, the other is
surely a real problem.

--
David Matthews
m...@dmatthews.org