On 01/02/2013 05:41 PM, Benjamin Deering wrote:
On 01/02/2013 08:45 AM, rhn wrote:
On Wednesday 02 of January 2013 07:30:44 Benjamin Deering wrote:
My gta02, or possibly the bare board I removed to convert my GTA04 is
getting a new job as a wifi audio forwarder to let me play music over my
hifi wirelessly.  I would like to remove the battery from this phone
once it is set up to prevent damage to the battery and to free up
another battery for long trips.

Both of my GTA02s are A5 with buzzfix.  It sounds like A7 had a change
to allow it to boot without a battery. Does anyone know what the change is and if it is something I could apply myself? I am going to be doing
the bass-fix and it would be nice to fix this at the same time.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm interested in how you got the board to boot and be accessible from outside without a screen. Some time ago my GTA02 was dunked in water and that broke its screen. After reflashing SHR, I wasn't able to access it in any way because the screen was required to finish setup.
What distribution did you use?

Cheers,
rhn

P.S. If anyone's interested in the device, feel free to contact me.
I haven't tried my bare board yet. My plan was to get wifi, avahi, and pulseaudio all starting automatically on the complete phone, then try the SD card in the bare board.
I spent some time on this over the weekend. The bare board boots fine without a screen. I got impatient waiting for the parts for my capacitance meter and scavenged some electrolytic caps since they are labeled. The worked fine for the bass fix. I didn't bother to put the shielding back on since I won't be using GSM.

I am still unable to boot without battery. Repeated plugging and unplugging the usb occasionally starts to boot, but I get only a single LED flash (kernel doesn't load). Should I switch to a bigger cap? I am a software engineer. I shouldn't even be allowed to wield a soldering iron.

I was also unable to avoid ordering an A1200 headset adapter. I couldn't find a way to fool the internal switches in the jack to let me solder a 3.5mm jack to a lead.

Is there a reason electrolytic caps are a bad idea for these applications?

Robin: I probably won't be documenting this other than on the mailing list. My software is such an ugly hack as is the hardware. I had trouble powering up wifi from systemd so my wifi script kills a bunch of processes and turns on the radio from sysfs.

Ben