> > Afaik you can use it legally if you connect it directly to your own base
> > station.
>
> If you connect it by shielded cable or if you place both in a big shielded
> box.
> I.e.  if the spurious emissions stay below some defined level and don't
> disturb

If you can demonstrate you know what you are doing, and use the 900mhz amatuer
radio band in the US, you are fine.

http://blog.marinetelecom.net/2010/08/01/ham-radio-operator-chris-paget-kj6gcg-spoofs-as-900mhz-gsm-tower-and-15-phones-in-defcon-hacker-convention-log-onto-his-network/

The other approach would be to start a kickstarter/selfstarter to buy some
spectrum licenses, and permit ONLY devices that have debian-free-software
guidelines compliant firmware to transmit on those frequencies.