From: Markus Gufler | Limitis [mailto:markus.guf...@limitis.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:41 AM
To: community@mailsbestfriend.com
Subject: [MBF] AW: hijacked accounts

Same thing observed here.
I've set up a geolocation database and have created some scripts parsing the
smtp logs for "authenticated as xxxx" lines.
More than x connections from different foreign countries are blocked
automatically.

Up to now the script changes the password with the drawback that any further
communication with the user has to go over phone. But I have ready an
improved version who disables only outgoing SMTP access (Smartermail) and
send the user a detailed report of whats happened (logins from IP1 Country1,
IP2 country2, ... + delivery attempts for x...@ghotmail.xy) and what he
should do to get a new password (scan&clean his computer, switch to
SSL-protocols, call us or go to a web form and insert their email-address
and last bill number)

This watchdogs does run and look for different time ranges in order to catch
both high and low volume campaigns as fast as possible.

I've also noted they send some kind of first test message a couple of
minutes before they start their campaign (sometimes it takes also some
hours) The test message mostly has .ru freemail recipients.

I must admit, they have spend a lot of time to be such tricky. Now they are
able to transmit between 10 and 50 messages before the campaign is blocked.
All still undelivered messages are removed from the spool. In the worst case
we deliver 100 messages as it is the default max msgs/hour volume for every
account.

Markus