El Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 09:41:44AM +0100, H. Nikolaus Schaller deia:

> I would like it as well!

:)

> And I have a simple idea how to build one. I still use one of the original
> GTA04A1 prototype boards where just some components were soldered on,
> incl. the battery connector. I use it to power a GTA04 from battery
> without covering the OMAP processor. It is not a charger (there is
> no charger chip installed), but used as a power bank...
>
> It looks like this (the board on the left is the GTA04A1):

Good, possibly someone can design a ·D printed case or something, but it
would already be something.

> Now, the idea is to provide a PCB very similar to this, but have:
> * the correct spring loaded battery connector
> * some metal handles (cut&bent a copper staple and solder to the board) to
> keep the battery in place
> * an Mini-USB socket so that you can connect to a standard wall charger or a
> PC or hub

This is good, as long as it brings enough power (surely for charging one battery
it will, but for 2 or 3 ? )

> * it should even be possible to strap together with the GTA04 Qi-Charger:)

Good, I'm not interested in inductive charging, but why not ?

> * a LiIon charger chip that can run a charging cycle w/o any CPU support

And maybe take care of the charged battery if left there for longer
than needed ?  Would it need to eventually recharge ? Maybe that's too
complex and depends on user wishes so best left out ... ?

> * some LED(s) to show the charging status
> * is likely ~20€ per unit
>
> I think you can then just take two or three of those and connect to some
> (old) externally powered hub to charge several batteries in parallel.

That would be better than what I have now (nothing). But it would
still require

   2 o 3 of these units

   1 power hub

   1 hub power source

   3 or 4 cables

   some case

Doable at home, not so much to take to a hotel, I guess...

It's ok but if something could be done to eliminate components it would be
even more convenient. Remember those AAA rechargeable battery chargers ?
They have several slots (at least 2) and you don't need many of them. Some
plug directly to a wall socket and you don't even need a plug. This is
asking too much, but maybe some reduction in components is still possible.

Maybe an optional version with more battery places or maybe some male
and female connector in opposite sides so you could daisy chain 2 or 3
of those chargers side by side without needing cables and without a
powered hub (but then it's no longer USB 2?).

> Would this fit your needs? Would others be interested as well? Additional
> ideas?

It would, and I think I would get 2 or 3 of them if there isn't a more
integrated option. But if possible I would pay more than this total
price for a more integrated option.