On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:49:30 +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> We think these type of e-book readers are really nice pieces of hardware
> to be supported by LetuxOS.
>
> Andreas has bought a Kobo Clara and I have got a Tolino Shine 3 (there are
> IMHO other brand names as well) assuming they are identical (except
> branding).

One place to look for more information is the MobileRead Wiki and forums:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tolino_Shine

> It is easy to snap-open the device and replace the ?SD inside so keeping
> the original system safely and trying other things is easy.

It's the same with the Kobo Mini I have. It makes experimenting a much more
comfortable experience.

My device had a 4GB micro SD card inside, though I think it might have only
been rated for 2GB:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2737506#post2737506

I used a break-out board to make it easier to insert and remove the card:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2742920#post2742920

> There is also an RS232 (3.3V level) interface for the console and I have
> soldered a cable with a connector to it so that I can plug it on demand
> and connect to an adapter for a FTDI cable.

I didn't think to try that. I was fortunate that someone else had done the
work of making a reasonably configured Linux kernel available. I've no idea
if a more modern kernel would run on the i.MX50-based Kobo Mini.

David