Dear Paco,

I appreciate your invitation for consideration of the relationship between 
gardening and politics.  Having been a recipient of this list serve for roughly 
6 years, I too have noticed this debate on presenting the listserve with off 
topic subjects, yet have never felt the need to respond in offense, until today.

I am not disagreeing with your viewpoint on gardening. I believe it is 
impossible to garden and not reflect on our species impact and innate 
connection with the world. Yet, I would invite consideration of the connection 
between the ability to be a "professional community gardener" and the stability 
and safety of the community in which you live that has been provided by the 
millions of American blood sacrifices paid in the "violent paradigm" to which 
you speak. In my opinion, our discussion isn’t so much about the relationship 
between community gardening and politics, as the relationship between community 
gardening and your (or others) political ideology. 

I am curious to know whether those who intend to write in support of the French 
Ministry will also be supporting the French militaristic impact in Africa. Or 
for that matter their support of Mugabe (President of Zimbabwe) in the EU, who 
as we speak is destroying some of the largest African wildlife preserves? Just 
a thought…

All the best,
Melanie



"John Verin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Dear Melanie,
>
>I wholly understand your perspective about keeping the list on topic. This 
>debate has been going on since I joined the list in 1995.
>
>In my years as a professional community gardener, I find more and more how 
>everything is interconnected, and that gardening both flowers and vegetables 
>is very, very political.
>
>By the very fact that one chooses to tend to nature in a garden is a 
>transcendent move beyond the violent paradigm, politics and economics that 
>seek to control and eradicate the natural world, and seeks to control your 
>mind to do as they do. There's no way around that.
>
>While I agree that this list mustn't go too far off topic, I invite you to 
>deeply consider the relationships between gardening, particularly community 
>gardening, and politics, including the White House's intention to attack Iraq.
>
>Best regards,
>Paco
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: melanie blandford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 1:51 PM
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: RE: [cg] [Fwd: email the French Minstry of Foriegn Affairs]
>
>
>Am I wrong for assuming that this list serve is for community gardening?
>I am offended that due to my interest and career in gardening, I must also be 
>subjected to someone's political agenda.
>
>Melanie Blandford
>Volunteer Coordinator UT Gardens
>University of Tennessee
>252 Ellington Plant Science Building
>Knoxville , TN 37996
>
>
>
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>
>>If anyone is interested in trying to support France from buckling under to 
>>supporting the US going to war, here is where you can write to support this.
>>
>>Julie
>>
>
>__________________________________________________________________
>The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! 
>http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp 
>
>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at 
>http://webmail.netscape.com/
>
>______________________________________________________
>The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
>services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
>how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
>
>
>To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
>https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
>
>______________________________________________________
>The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
>services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
>how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
>
>
>To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
>https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
>

__________________________________________________________________
The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! 
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp 

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at 
http://webmail.netscape.com/

______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org


To post an e-mail to the list:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

Reply via email to