OK - On Issues of Gentrification and Large Corporations Knocking Out Mom and
Pop Stores.

I got you on this, and walk the walk on mom & pop store preservation in my
neighborhood with my work as a member of Clinton Land Use and Zoning
Committee of Manhattan Community Board 4.  This is a very hard thing to do
in local neighborhoods when landlords want to get as much rent as they can
for commericial properties. And yes, it is a matter of demand for goods and
services that drives this.

Now, as someone who has helped preserve a local green market through
politics ( yeah I do that too - doesn't make me a good person, though) and a
tented low income market called Stiles right next to the Radio City Station
Post Office ( yeah the one you hear about on late night TV)I can tell you
that it's a constant fight.

And when a Cosco big box store was sited for our neighborhood, I did the
legwork and lined up political oppositionon that one too.  Got a 80% market
rent -20% affordable rent high rise with a supermarket going into that
space, so that's a mixed blessing. The auxilliary space behind the building
will be a "keyed, neighborhood volunteer green space" - bureaucratese for a
2,500 sq foot community garden. But you can't be pure when you're dealing
with the real world and you want to get good things done. Not ends
justifying the means, just best possible outcome considering the way the
ground lays.

Do I want moms and pops to survive in urban areas? Yes I do, and I like to
shop small. However, in the real world you have to deal with everybody. You
make lemonade from lemons.

Now, I have no problems with dealing with a big guy, if he acts ethically -
and I won't buy from a mom and pop that puts it's thumb on the scale or
sells something untoward under the counter.

Let's get compost from whomever we can and if a large corporation wants to
do the right thing, why not?  There are people, just like ourselves, and
more than a few that work for them are community gardeners... We need a
large tent.

Best wishes,
Adam Hongman

But...