I started this thread (or re-started it!). Back in the mid-90's I
was working with an initiative within the Luthern church which was
headed by a charismatic individual who could do great things with
used tires, also. He was having us cut one of the walls out of a tire
and then put it in place (like at the doorstep of a low income
trailer) and fill it with growing mix. IT was a way of making a
tomato garden for low income housing situations. This program got off
to quite a start and then was killed when it was 'discovered' that
tires put off toxins that food plants picked up. I do not have any
details, I just remember this program coming and going.
An addendum to this is that we did a demonstration in Chambersburg,
PA at a conference there. There was an extension agent from Philly
there. She worked extensively with community gardents. She was
advocating using mushroom bedding as compost in community gardens. I
told her that most compost bedding is saturated with fungicides and
other chemicals. She said 'Whatever, baby, it sure grows food well!'
I have to admit, I have never been able to understand what value
system where "lots" offset "poison" that this woman was coming from!
-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV
______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden