> I too have questioned the toxicity. I think the question is whether or not > plants take up toxic compounds from tires, and whether or not they > metabolize toxic compounds. I've read that sometimes plants can "purify" > toxic conditions in the soil, which I assume to mean that toxic compounds > are broken down into non-toxic elements and compounds by plant metabolism.
If you want to assist soil microbes process toxins, add beer. It has been shown that beer added to soil at superfund sites reduces the soil toxins pretty quickly. You only need to use the cheapest beer you can find, and freshness is not an issue. The research was done with out-of-date domestic lite beer. This can help with sites that might have high lead or zinc levels that are often found in urban areas. Also, mustard greens are used to absorb toxins from contaminated soil. Just don9t eat or compost the greens grown in those areas, dispose of properly. If your soil is questionable, get a toxic element test from the local extension service. Peace, Lekoma Akate New Orleans ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

