Jill,

Most community gardens, as you surmised, garden on municipally  owned park or
depressed vacant lot tracts which are leased from our city landlords at
nominal rates or for free. In other situations, the garden ownership has been
transferred to Land Trusts which manage these spaces as public amenities for
the public good. The theory is that these gardens are a  means of stabilizing
the community, housing stock and tax rolls of the surrounding commuity by a
beneficial use.

The alternative, i.e.,  a rubble and garbage strewn, dangerous, vermin
infested lot where fires are set, drug dealing, prostitution and other
anti-social activities take place is a drain on the city's treasury.  Visits
from firemen to put our fires that could spread to  adjacent buildings,
police sorties to quiet noisy drug dealers or to investigate drug trafficking
and/or prostitution reported by neighborhood residents, sporadic visits from
the Sanitation dept to clean up bad smelling messes and the Medical Examiner
to collect corpses dumped through criminal activity all cost cash-strapped
municipalities a considerable amount of money.

This is why fed-up neighborhood residents who take over these spaces get the
grudging permission of municipalities, usually after the fact, to do so.

Jill - property taxes are political.  An idea: Churches do not pay property
taxes for their religious sites because of a political deal.  Many
not-for-profits which benefit their communities pay no or drastically reduced
property taxes.  As you are growing food for low-income residents and
providing a volunteer-run neighborhod space, a "point of light" in Republican
Bush senior-speak, you should try to get your local officials to advocate for
"tax relief", keeping the money that you would be paying to the municipality
in the pockets of a neighborhood volunteer organization that so selflessly
serves its low income community.  Get a few local pastors behind you.  Also,
it's worth letting a few local newspapers and TV stations know about your
garden's good work in feeding the community, what was on the space before,
and the obtuseness of taxing a positive non-for-profit use like your garden.

In the interim, see what is cheaper (agricultural rates should be cheaper,
but be sure to read the rates before declaring, or even seeing if there are
agricultural rates in Cedar Rapids) and if all fails, render onto Caesar...

If the tax man got Al Capone, he'll certainly get you.

Have a lovely day,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Property taxes question