Hey Judy-
I'm no chemist, but I've done a fair amount of looking into soil lead.  In
general, I think the main hazard from soil lead is dust, either in the air
or on produce or hands that get into people's mouths.  The main strategies
for reducing airborne dust are dilution or encapsulation.  If, for instance,
you assume that the 500ppm EPA residential limit on soil lead is a
reasonable target, then diluting, say, the top six inches of soil with
enough additional soil and compost to bring the level within bounds is one
way to do it.  In your case, adding 8 inches of material and tilling it in
would do that job. Also, note that just because your average lead level for
the garden is 1146ppm doesn't mean that's the level everywhere.  On a former
building lot, you will tend to see very high levels around the perimeter of
the building(s) and lower levels elsewhere. Encapsulation means you put
something between the contaminated soil and your crops, hands, and lungs.
Mulched or grassed pathways handle part of that problem.  Raised beds handle
the rest.  Somebody has a list of crops that tend to take up lead.  If you
are going to plant them, your beds should be deep, like the 1-foot beds your
neighbors use.  Relying on physical barriers may be chancy, unless you use
concrete.  Phytoremediation seems to work, although it is hard to get seed
for the most effective plants.  They will clean the top six inches of soil
pretty well in a season or two.  The drawback is that they don't go much
deeper than that.  They are good for reducing risk of airborne dust, but not
the risk of contact with crops or hands.  Lawn grass is apparently a pretty
good way to reduce surface dust, particularly if you collect and dispose of
clippings from mowing.  Just growing the grass reduces dustiness, and the
plants take up some lead.  Other than that, people should know that
detergent really works to remove lead and other nastiness from produce.
They even sell some special produce detergent in supermarkets.  As long as
the problem is surface contamination of produce, washing is important.
All that being said, a case can be made that the only appropriate treatment
for lead contamination is removal and replacement of soil.  To do that
effectively, you need to know where the lead is.  Unfortunately, just
because you know there is lead in the top six inches of soil doesn't mean
that's the only place it is.  There is a great piece of equipment called an
XRF - ground penetrating x-ray - that will measure lead levels as you go,
and some health departments have them.  It's probably not an appropriate
investment for your local community garden group.  Removal and replacement
can be very expensive and difficult, and the "soil" you get back may not be
as good as what you started with.  Nonetheless, removal is the only way to
know for sure that the lead threat is gone.
Here in Hartford, we test soil for lead before we commit to starting a new
garden, and we try to avoid sites with high levels.  Regardless of the test
outcomes, we try to tell people to assume there is some lead in their soil
and to act accordingly.
Good luck.
JH

Jack N. Hale