From:   Honigman, Adam [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, October 17, 2002 1:24 PM
To:     '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc:     'Samuel Feinson'
Subject:        RE: [cg] Columbia, SC Community Garden Project

Some really fast suggestions, Sam:

1) Set an evening aside at your computer. Make a pot of coffee ( or
whatever
adult beverage you drink) fill your printer with paper and read everything
on the American Community Gardening Association web page and links.
Seriously, the amount of free content on this page is scandalous
http://www.communitygarden.org <http://www.communitygarden.org>  .

2) Make yourself another pot of coffee, etc, etc. and go to the community
garden archive of Mallorn.com ( the ACGA list serve) which has discussions
on every CG topic under the sun:

addition
to subscribing to the listserve , the hits you can get via "string" or
subject can be pretty remarkable.

3) After all of this, you should have even more questions. Send these this
listserve and to the community gardens in your area that might have
regional insight and leads on possible horticultural assests you might be
able to access:

  http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html
<http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html>

4) Outside of screening your group leaders for criminal records and
reported
instances of pedophilia ( sigh - it's a sad world), for sustainability
sake,
I think you should have some public meetings in which neighbors, project
participants and local organizations ( churches, the staffers of local
politicians, the cops, schools) can learn about your project and possibly
buy into it at the grassroots level.  It is helpful to try to judge the
potential level of support  before you sink too much dough into a project.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden, NYC
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org
<http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org>