My name is Saleem Hue Penny of the Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee, WI.  I am
Congressional Hunger Fellow from Washington, DC, stationed in Milwaukee, WI
for 6 months developing a youth-employment/job-training model for the Fondy
Farmers' Market.  Myself and my supervisor, Karen Harris, hope that this
model can be adapted to suit other Milwaukee-area Farmers' Markets in the
near future.

During my last 4 weeks in Milwaukee, I have explored a number of options for
youth recruitment, community organization partnerships, and curriculum
development for this project.  Basically, I am in the early stages of
designing a program where youth from the Fond du Lac community are given a
series of workshops (hands-on training) to develop skill sets ranging from
basic planting to customer communication to produce identification to
marketing.

With this skill set, they will work 30 hrs/wk (paid employment) at both a
neighborhood garden plot and the Fondy Farmers' Market, performing a variety
of tasks, and receiving mentoring from the program facilitators, farmers,
and vendors participating in the program.
The third and final component of the program seeks to offer continuing
agricultural education experiences, during the school year, such as weekend
trips to environmental education
centers and after-school greenhouse opportunities.

I am writing to this listserv to inquire if anyone has undertaken similar
projects and can offer any advice as I continue planning.  I welcome all
suggestions. Thank you for your time and energy.
-Saleem Hue Penny
 Bill Emerson National Hunger Fellow
 Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee
 414-777-0483 ext 122