Hi, all, Great discussion, that's what this list is all about.
I'm for piped water, but with rainwater harvesting whenever possible - I mean, really looking for ways to make it work. Primitive systems that I've seen don't work, don't get used, and breed mosquitos. But I've also seen some good ones, too, and research and creative design, like Lenny's and Dan Winterbottom's in Seattle, are very important and worthwhile. >From the plant's point of view, veggies need - rule of thumb - an inch of water per week for optimum production during much of the growing season. That water needs to be available at the right time, too. 3 inches of rain in 2 days followed by a 3 week drought doesn't cut it. By far the most practical way to get reliable water is through piped-in water, from a well, pond or (in the city and the 'burbs) muni water. Water for growing food makes a lot more sense than water for washing cars or growing lawns. I don't feel guilty watering my 'maters. That said, conserving water is very important. Hand watering is very reasonable, so are trickle irrigation systems _when set up and managed properly_. Mulching and building soil water-holding capacity can help. These steps can be done without big buck investments. btw, most sprinkler systems and 'spaghetti tube' drip systems are probably not the best choice, in my book, for community gardens - but I've seen well-meaning funders spend beaucoup to install these (gardeners quickly find ways to subvert them). Of course, if it rains, you don't have to water. Every garden needs a rain gage. At the same time, rainwater harvesting, from rooftops especially, can be an excellent supplement to any system. Here, you bet mosquitos can be a problem, but it's solvable. Rain is great for plants (even contains some N after thunderstorms), and rainwater harvesting slows the rush of water off impervious surfaces, like natural ponds and tree canopies used to do. As we slowly release water into the soil when we water, it moves gently through the ecosystem, instead of in a damaging storm rush that wipes out natural streams (after picking up pollution from roadways). So, yeah, rain harvesting is great - but I'd still start with reliable water, even if it means the municipal kind, chlorinated and all. Don B Charlotte, NC ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

