Hi there everyone,
I thought I would weigh in on the AmeriCorps question
(or perhaps more appropriately AmeriCrops as I often
misspell it!).
I am about to complete my second year as an AmeriCorps
Vista volunteer with a community garden in rural
northern Nevada. The Vista program has been a terrific
help to our garden. As opposed to most other
AmeriCorps programs, Vistas focus on building
"sustainability" for a program and so are only granted
for limited time periods, typically 3-5 years. There
is usually no cost share required for the first 3
years. So essentially, if you are willing to complete
the paperwork and provide supervision, you can get
"free" workers for a few years to strengthen a
particular program! The other aspect of Vista is that
it is anti-poverty focused, which can be a great match
for community gardens.
Other AmeriCorps programs (like state, national,
senior, etc.) can go on indefinitely, I believe, but
there is a cost-share associated from the beginning.
They also give more flexibility in terms of what the
members can do. (Vista members are limited to 20%
direct service with the rest being organizing
volunteers, designing promotional materials, creating
& leading trainings, etc.)
Well that's probably more than folks wanted to know,
but if anyone has any other questions, please don't
hesitate to ask! AmeriCorps has been a great program
to work for and with.
-Susan
Winnemucca Community Garden
151 W. McArthur Ave.
Winnemucca, NV 89445
775.623.2333
www.WinnemuccaCommunityGarden.org
____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
To post an e-mail to the list: [email protected]
To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org