I was surprised at the acclaim that biochar was getting on this list serve,
because I thought organic matter itself was good for the soil and the things
that live in it. Isn't the residue of the process a particulate ash?  I suppose
it makes no carbon emissions?
As for eating a peck of dirt, fine if you have organic dirt, but many sites of
community gardens may have a toxic heavy metal load. Especially in cities.
Remember a few years back when ville de Montreal wanted space for houses and
they decided to shut down 59 community gardens, saying that they were toxic?
That didn't dawn on them until they needed the space to put up buildings.  How
many municipalities ask community gardens to know if they have unsafe levels of
heavy metal? My guess would be, not many. 1 in 10 children have the habit of
eating soil. They should probably stay out of urban gardens. In South Africa
people eat clay for their health, it is sold in balls at the markets. It may be
good for people to do that.
 Vitamin B12 is a bacteria which inhabits soils and meat that is starting to go
bad.  Without it we would all be wandering around wondering what our names are.
Where you find someone saying do it, you can also  find some one saying don't
do it. A  gray murky area. But why go to the bother of burning biomass to add
to the garden, why not just dig it in? Am I missing something? Very possible,
but it seems it may be primarily to produce energy and the resultant ash needs
to be recycled. Wasn't that once used to make lye for making soap. Isn't lye
very acidic?
Clue me in please?   Clueless in Canada,  Karen

"Man's attitude toward nature is today critically important simply because we
now have acquired a fateful power to alter and destroy nature. But man is part
of nature and his war is inevitably a war against himself"  Rachel Carson