In a nutshell, very well stated...thanks

jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org
[mailto:community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org] On Behalf Of
jhain...@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:55 AM
To: Karen Jones
Cc: community garden
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] Clueless in Canada, Biochar

The biochar is very different from ash Karen.  It's charcoal which has
thousands more surfaces for nutrients and microorganisms to cling to and
also has the quality of storing carbon in the soil which is a very valuable
environmental component.  Our croplands could become carbon sinks with
biochar rather than carbon emitters as they are now.  Also, the creation of
biochar has a negative energy input meaning that there is a plus side of the
energy equation.  There are gases produced that can be used to create
electricity.  And all of that is why I'm am excited if they use organic
waste that would go to landfills otherwise or sewage solids as fuel, so many
environmental problems could be solved with the creation of this one product
and we could get improved soils as well.

Judy