Ok, I am not promoting this practice.  I actually have serious problems with 
it.  Anyway, I emailed my colleague who used to work at toxic epidemiology 
about this.  I haven't gotten a response yet. So, I checked the US EPA 
(Environmental Protection Agency).  Well, I thought they protect the 
environment, so may be it's a place to look.  So I queried "used tires and 
gardening".  This shows up under Frequently Asked Questions about scrap tires.  
And there is a section on "10. What are some innovative ways tires can be 
recycled?" http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/tires/science.htm Imagine 
that. 
 
I hope that you can see the picture. This is actually under the section about 
benefits of recycling scrap tires.  And under the picture, it says "Tire 
gardens can be a simple, cost-effective way to plant a garden in urban areas, 
and an environmentally-friendly way to turn a used tire into something 
productive again."  
 
I think it's some sort of lettus planted in there.  Now, if the Environmental 
Protection Agency thinks it's ok... what does it mean?  hmmmm.
15. What are the benefits of recycling scrap tires?
Preferred management methods for municipal solid waste are waste prevention, 
followed by recycling, followed by incineration for energy recovery, and 
finally land disposal. For tires, retreading is a form of waste prevention and 
saves valuable resources. Recycling also conserves materials. For example, the 
use of ground rubber in products and in rubberized asphalt saves new resources 
from being used. In cases like these, recycling makes good economic sense. 
 
 
Tire gardens can be a simple, cost-effective way to plant a garden in urban 
areas, and an environmentally-friendly way to turn a used tire into something 
productive again.
 


 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Kindness in words creates confidence.
Kindness in thinking creates profoundness.
Kindness in giving creates love.
- Lao Tzu
 
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; 
courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” 
- Winston Churchill
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Mike McGrath <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Mike McGrath <[email protected]>
Subject: [Community_garden] Rubber Tires as Raised Beds
To: "Phillip Williams" <[email protected]>, 
[email protected]
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 2:10 PM

PS: if anyone is foolish enough (in my eyes) to do this, make sure the 
providers at least pay you the fee that they would have had to pay to 
dispose of them legally otherwise. (Here in PA, I believe its two bucks a 
tire.)
    Otherwise, you're being taken for TWO rides....

                                                ---Mike McG
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Phillip Williams" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:40 PM
Subject: [Community_garden] Rubber Tires as Raised Beds


>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Phillip Williams [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:37 PM
> To: '[email protected]'
> Subject: RE: Community_garden Digest, Vol 666, Issue 1
>
>
>
> The following link has an authoritative and extensive discussion of the 
> use
> of raised beds including the recycling of some types of old tires. (As 
> well
> as other approaches. For what it's worth; there are literally hundreds
of
> missives on the internet proclaiming the value of this approach to small
> raised beds. I spoke to my local Ag Extension Service Agent and he advised
> that their studies showed no leaching of anything in anywhere near toxic
> levels. If there's something wrong with using old tires there are a
lot of
> us in real trouble...
>
> http://www.noble.org/Ag/Horticulture/RaisedBedGardening/introduction4.html
>
> Best regards
>
> Phil
>
> Augusta, GA
>
>
>
>
>
> I came across some used tires which I am going to use as raised beds to
>
> plant edibles in our community garden. Given tires contact with toxic
>
> materials, is there anything I should do before filling these beds with
>
> compost and planting, or is it safe to stack the tires, fill with
>
> planting material, and plant.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> Anna
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
>
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20090217/4ff12c5d/attachment.html>
> _______________________________________________
> The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of 
> ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA
and 
> to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
>
> To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: 
>
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org
>
> 



_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of
ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to
find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: 
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20090217/473885d9/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to