I forgot to add the Cornell link, here:
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/potatoscab/potatoscab.htm

And by the way, it says that potato scab is cosmetic only  - you an still eat 
the potatoes.

Chris Reid
Stamford, CT

--- On Fri, 3/6/09, Chris Reid <[email protected]> wrote:

From: Chris Reid <[email protected]>
Subject: growing potatoes in containers
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 3:50 PM

Anna said:

I am thinking of starting some trashcan potatoes with my kids. In the
> instructions that I found it said to use acidic soil or to use soil and
> add acidic material (leaves, peat, etc). I have several large bags of
> potting soil that are left over from last year. Would it be ok to use
> potting soil? Also, when should I begin this project? I live Central
> Ohio, Zone 5b. Sorry if this question seems basic, but this is the first
> season I am putting in a garden so everything will be a learning
> experience for me and the kids

Anna,

Yes, you can grow potatoes in a trash can, but not the real tall 55 gallon 
types.  the whisky half barrels are probably a better shape.  I am growing 
potatoes in a container this year too because I found out I have high lead 
levels in
 my garden
 soil.

The instructions for the potatoes that call for acid soil are using an approach 
to try to prevent potato scab, but if you read this link from Cornell, they say 
that the problem with this method is that at 5.2 or lower, many important 
minerals will not be available to the potato plant (the higher the pH up to 
about 7, the more the plant can use the NPK you give it in the form of 
fertilizer).

However, you can grow the potatoes without using acid soil if you do a couple 
of things:  1) first, buy seed potatoes that are certified disease free (from a 
catalog or nursery, not using supermarket potatoes) and 2) look for a type that 
says it is "scab resistant".  Then the soil will be less of a worry.

When you say potting soil, I am guessing you mean a soilless mix based on peat 
moss, right?  The caveat on reusing the potting mix would be that if you used 
any chemicals on your plants that are NOT for food crops, or if you
 had any serious diseases or insect infestations, they may carry over in the 
soil (so compost them instead).  The potting mix should help you have good 
drainage in the pot, but you will have to add fertilizers since the mix won't 
have any.  Mellow aged compost (not fresh manure or compost that isn't ready 
yet) would be perfect for potatoes.

 I have a friend who re-uses her potting mix every year by sifting out old root 
and plant parts and adding in some fresh compost.  She has been doing it for 10 
years and says she has not had a problem with plant disease and her flowers 
grow very well.  It breaks all the rules about being careful about spreading 
disease through old compost -- but I guess the potting mix can't read the rule 
book.

Growing potatoes and digging them up is great fun.  I think your kids will love 
it.

Chris Reid



      


      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20090306/08691be4/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's 
services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out 
how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org

To post an e-mail to the list:  [email protected]

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  
http://list.communitygarden.org/mailman/listinfo/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org

Reply via email to