Hello John,

I don't think that the terms of use will restrict you from doing what
you want with the data - a visualization project, as part of Academic
research. The terms of use are displayed on the website's download
page:

#  TERMS OF USE:
#
#  - Permission is granted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
#    of this file, but CHANGING IT IS NOT ALLOWED.
#
#  - This annotation can be used in any website or application,
#    provided its source (the Quranic Arabic Corpus) is clearly
#    indicated, and a link is made to http://corpus.quran.com to enable
#    users to keep track of changes.
#
#  - This copyright notice shall be included in all verbatim copies
#    of the text, and shall be reproduced appropriately in all works
#    derived from or containing substantial portion of this file.

These terms of use are very similar to the terms used to license the
electronic Quranic text of the Tanzil project. In essence, these terms
of use are designed to protect the data against the following
scenario. Another Quran publication (a website or book) may decide use
a snapshot of the data and publish it without specifying its source
(the Quranic Arabic Corpus). Given the sensitive nature of the Quran
as a religious text, this is quite a problematic scenario because it
means that researchers could then be using an outdated and hence a
possibly incorrect version of the grammatical annotation.

The Quranic Arabic Corpus website has an online message board for
collaborative annotation, in which volunteers discuss the existing
analyses, and scrutinize each part of the grammar to improve accuracy.
Because you intend to use the data for visualization, and from what I
understand it is for academic research, I don't think that this would
violate the terms of use along as:

(1) A citation and reference is given to the original source of the data (The
Quranic Arabic Corpus – http://corpus.quran.com)

(2) In addition, EITHER the original data set is not published (i.e.
the morphological annotation download file)

(3) OR if (2) does not apply, if you do want to publish your
visualization data set which includes part of the Quranic Arabic
Corpus, this should be fine as long as a reference is cited. This is
possible because from what I understand, you don't want to change any
of the Arabic words or the morphological features, just change the
format and/or supplement this with new data purely for visualization
research.

In summary, for your visualization project, I don’t see any of this
being an issue as long as a citation is provided. The situation we are
trying to avoid with these terms of use is where the data is used
without reference in its original source, or if the Quranic words or
grammatical annotation is modified. The end aim of this is to prevent
other websites or publications using an old outdated version of the
data, so that researchers and Quranic students get old and hence
possibly incorrect grammatical information without any possibility of
correction.

Good luck with the visualization project, it sounds quite interesting.
Please feel free to use the data as you see fit. If you have any
further questions on the nature of the data, I would be happy to help.
You can find the morphological dataset documented in further detail
online here:

http://corpus.quran.com/documentation/morphologicalfeatures.jsp

It also just occurred to me, it would be great to know more about the
visualization tool itself - forgive me, I'm just a bit curious :-)

Kind Regards,

-- Kais Dukes

Language Research Group
School of Computing