One more thing about my set-up that differs from yours: I am running Apple
Talk over TCP IP (checked in the File Sharing CP box) and connect my 512k to
my network (6400/8.6 & PB G3/9.2.2) via an AppleTalk to Ethernet bridge.
Since OSX seems to require TCP IP, it's a fair guess that OS9 is moving
squarely in that direction and could be why I can connect, but you can't
(assuming you're using standard Phone net to serial on both sides with no
Ethernet).

I presume if you had the 6300 hardware problem that you would not have even
been able to install OS9, but just in case ...

Another possibility, OS9 supports up to 2TB, while OS8 only supports 2GB
which is also the file limitation of earlier volumes. Using ApleTalk
protocols only, OS9 AT may be showing the 512k more than it can handle,
where the OS8 stayed with the 512k's limitations. Also, the limit of 346
unique open files is a limitation of Mac OS versions prior to Mac OS 9. Mac
OS 9 and later support up to 8169 unique open files. Again, possibly more
than the 512k can deal with (assuming you do not have any volumes or files
over 2GB on your 6300.