I do not presume to be an expert, but what I am doing is actually called
"AppleTalk over TCP IP" (according to Apple) -- that is: using the AppleTalk
protocol via a TCP IP protocol to access AppleShare. I know, very confusing.
As I understand it, this is how Apple has set it up over the years,
AppleTalk is the networking protocol, AppleShare is the file sharing/server
application (complete with its own protocols) which uses AppleTalk to
communicate with other AppleShare applications/clients and LocalTalk is the
original hardware needed to connect the AppleTalk network. That's why
printing uses AppleTalk but NOT AppleShare. Since AppleShare is a file
server application, the Mac 512k is using a workstation/client version which
does not have features that the parent application has. The original version
of AppleShare (1.1?) runs on the 512k (but little else) and may not solve
the problem as there were several improvements to ASP in v.2.0 requiring
System 6. Here are some links that delineate some of this Apple-"talk"
vis-a-vis OSX problems, which may or may not be affecting OS 9:

As for the file size limitation, thanks for the info. I was basing mine on a
poor understanding of this, which doesn't even cover AS v1, which is what we
are both useing: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=15460

What then do you think could be causing our 512ks to crash when we try to
access OS 9? And in my case, only my volumes over 3GB? Thanks!