> OK. I'm just confused then. If the mouse and pointer don't constitute user
> interface then we have a semantics problem. What do you mean by "User
> Interface"?

I'm talking about the design of the user interface. Not the implementation.
The screwed up scheduler that made the pointer jerky is the implementation.
The fact that you can access ANY user interface control through the mouse
or the keyboard is design.

> You talk about the keyboard, but if there was ONE thing I always
> thought the Mac did properly, it was to incorporate consistent keyboard
> commands that worked intuitively in every application that followed Apple's
> guidelines

Apple has done a MUCH better job than Microsoft in getting application
developers to follow their guidelines, yes. Microsoft didn't even follow
their own (and, of course, neither does Apple any more... metal Finder,
Steve, what's up with that?), yes. But Microsoft's guidelines really were
better.

> (after all they came built into the ROM toolbox) across the board
> from 1984 on -- I am constantly amazed that key commands I use under System
> 1.0  work the same under OSX. For my money the Mac keyboard always traveled
> first class. Windows on OTOH was always a confusing jumble of right and left
> mouse clicks,

Not for applications that followed the guidelines. Left click was ALWAYS
select, right click was ALWAYS menu.

> CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, CMND, FUNCTION and letter key combos that
> changed from application to application (and even WITHIN the application!).

Um, Apple is at least as bad about this. They have more meta-keys
and as many special cases as Windows, and often hide "expert"
settings so you can only see them if you hit command or option
(inconsistently) when you click on a menu or open a window. Shift
select is supposed to be extend (same as in Windows), Command select
is supposed to toggle the selection. Except that in finder shift
select sometimes does the same as command select. What cmd-click
and opt-click do vary from application to application, even Apple
applications.

But in Windows, there's no more than half a dozen alt-key and
ctrl-key options to learn, and while there's a bunch of CTRL ALT
SHIFT things (there's no CMD or FUNCTION key in Windows, by the
way, CMD is mac-only and FUNCTION is a laptop hardware abomination
that infests both Windows and Macs) you don't NEED them to actually
do stuff. For compliant apps, you can ALWAYS get to and operate
any control on the original Windows GUI with alt tab space return
and the arrow keys.