I may be retired from doing IT work for schools, but
I'm not done with schools. I plan on teaching a math
camp to elementary age kids in the summer...if not
this summer it would be 2007. While I understand the
importance of paper and pencil, I do know that
computers can be the best teachers sometimes.

Not just any computers...Mac Classics. I got five of
them as a result of retirement. All from my school. I
also have an SE that I threw into the bunch (let's see
the little kids rally to get the one with an unused
expansion slot!)

I believe strongly that the old educational software
was superior to what is being sold today. The
interface was simpler and having it in black and white
meant less distractions. Plus the kids will probably
think computers that are older than them (and some of
their high school siblings now) are cool...yup, it's
true, the freshmen in high school this year were born
in 1990-1991. Some of them are actually younger than
System 7...

I have a number of questions here as to how I should
fix these up...and yes, I'm lumping the SE in with the
five Classics since it is a SuperDrive model.

All of these have 40MB internal hard drives. One needs
a new floppy drive (which I have and need to install),
one needs an analog board (working on getting one).
Four have 2MB RAM, the other two have 4MB.

The programs I plan on installing are OutNumbered,
Number Maze, Number Munchers, Turbo Math Facts, and
New Math Blaster Plus. One for each day of the week. I
am also putting MacDraw II and HyperCard on all of
these.

Based on what I have mentioned about these computers,
should I install System 6 or 7? Also, should I look
for discarded 1MB RAM chips to take the four 2MB
machines up to 4MB? Finally, if I go with System 7, do
you recommend I install At Ease? (I always felt it was
unnecessary in the computer labs in elementary schools
where the kids had to look at the teacher but felt
strongly about putting it on classroom computers where
the kids could be using it while the teacher is at her
desk or something...but this is math camp now)

One of the Classics has some kind of video output port
on it. It went to a projector at one time. No idea
what happened to the projector but I think a co-worker
donated it to charity. If anyone else has seen one of
these let me know...I could project something like
MacDraw for covering stuff like area and perimeter. If
I expand to cover middle school I could also do the
Cartesian Plane through a HyperCard stack I found.
First, though, I would need to find the correct type
of projector. It uses a connector similar to a CGA
monitor on a PC but the CGA monitor that I plugged
into it (which works) didn't produce a stable image.
Maybe I need some software.

Finally, do you think a Mac II would be a decent
server for these should I decide to use more programs
than would fit on the hard drive?

Hoping for some help,

Scott