Hey everyone! I have a serious problem with my Mac Classic. I found this one
a year ago at a thrift store. It had been abused. The hard drive that was
already in it was dead. It has been in storage for awhile until I could get
another hard drive for it.

I finally was able to put a hard drive in it, but found a serious problem.
When I go to click on almost ANY program, it comes up with an address error.
It's running System 7.1 (w/System Update 3.0), it has the RAM expansion card
maxed out to 4 MB of RAM and a 40 MB Hard drive.

I have tried a fresh System folder, zapping the PRAM, rebuilding desktop,
different System versions, booting off a floppy disk, booting off the ROM disk,
taking the RAM card out, cleaning the logic board thouroughly, everything a
person could think of.

When I took the RAM card out and ran it on 1 MB of RAM, it still gives me
address errors on almost every program. I know these programs are 68000
compatible because I also ran them on a Mac SE. Here's what I do know:

- It's not a hard drive problem. This happens on a floppy and ROM disk.

- It's not a battery problem. It does this regardless of whether it's a weak
or strong battery.

- I can sometimes get 1 or 2 of the programs to load by pressing the
interrupt button and typing in G. Most times, it will cause a Finder address
error.

I've got a bad feeling that it may be the onboard RAM that's went bad, but
for one thing, it doesn't give a Sad Mac. For 2, I've checked the RAM using RAM
Check and it tested ok. Maybe there's something I don't know about. Could
anyone here help? If it is the onboard RAM, is ther anyway I can bypass it? The
Classic will boot and run fine, except 95% of the programs I open will pop up
with an address error System bomb.

I'd like to try to get this Classic going if I could. I hope it's not
terminal so to speak. If it is the logic board somehow, would anyone here
happen to
either a spare Classic or spare Plus that works? I need a 68000 that works.

Thanks for reading my long post. I'd really appreciate anything you could
suggest. :-)

Take care,
Tommy

<A HREF="/ws-Family">Family Forum</A> Chat Leader &
<A HREF="/ws-youngadult">Youth Scene Forum</A> A/SysOp

Want a place to go to relax and have some good conversation?
Join me on The Front Porch every Thursday at 9 PM Eastern!