We all know that SE/30 PDS cards can be stacked if one of those cards has a
pass-through socket.  But this makes me wonder how the PDS really works.

Is the pass-through literally a passive electrical connection?  Is there a
short circuit between the main and passthrough plugs on the bottom card?  In
other words, does the second card simply bypass the first, and are both
directly connected to the SE/30 logicboard?  Or to put it another way, are
the PDS cards all connected to a completely passive bus?

If that were so, then it would be easy to fabricate a splitter card with a
single socket to go into the logicboard plug, and two plugs coming out of
the top like so...

       ^ ^      ^ ^
       | |          | |
    | |
    ^ ^

... thus making room for two cards to go in side-by-side.  In fact I think
I've seen PCI riser cards like this.

This is such an obvious move that I'm assuming that it can't be right.
Otherwise everyone would be doing it and cramming their SE/30s with cards.

Can anyone clarify?

Regards

David Kennedy